Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Howard

Today I was checking my email when I saw that Howard and Sunscreen's babysitter emailed me. This woman also babysits one of her grandsons, who is right around Howard's age. Howard is about to turn two years old. She's emailed me a few times before, and is a delightful woman. The subject of the email was, "Cute story." I'd like to share the story with my vast blogging audience.

"One day last week, Grandson was having a minor meltdown and Howard got my hand, while saying something I couldn't understand, and took me to Grandson. Howard got down on the floor and put both hands under Grandson and tried to pick him up - he was saying "Help" to me. Just think about that for a moment - It was a very touching moment."

I have to admit, I got teary eyed when I read that. My little guy is showing deep empathy for someone in ways he knows how. I'm so grateful that there are so many people who love him and demonstrate ways of showing love that he has picked up on it. That child is so special to me, and I'm so proud of him. I really hope that this gift of his is nurtured (because I believe it's a gift. He's been empathetic since he was a wee little guy; trying to give a bottle to his crying little brother, and hugging him when he's crying). We're learning about the emotional life of boys in one of my classes, and I think that this showing of empathy is one stepping stone on the way to good emotional health for him. I know I'm going to do my best to nurture that in him. And I trust that the gifts of God in him will blossom and flourish as he is led by the Holy Spirit which dwells richly in him. He may be a little guy, but he is a baptized member of the body of Christ. I honestly do believe that the Spirit dwells RICHLY in him. And in Sunscreen. Thanks be to God.

No comments: