Saturday, July 14, 2007

Love

So, as I was finishing up my last post, I decided to do a little bit of reading of my own blog. As I was doing that, Howard started crying. Sometimes he does that in the middle of the night, but usually he stops fairly quickly. Tonight though, he just kept crying and it was getting worse. I went up there and picked him up out of his crib. Tonight was the first time I've ever done that in the middle of the night. He was so upset, but I don't know why. There is a twin bed in the nursery where he sleeps, but no chair, so I held him and we laid on the bed. I turned on his little radio thing that plays "Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee" and projects a scene onto the ceiling. He quit crying pretty much as soon as I started holding him, but I could tell he was still upset. He was doing that thing with his breathing where he would breathe in a quick breath because he'd been crying so hard. Anyway, we laid on the bed and he sucked his little thumb and fell back asleep. Then, I put him back in his crib and realized that I needed to come back down here and sign off the Internet. But, I thought, "Man. I love that kid so much that it doesn't even bother me to have to go into his room and hold him for 15 minutes while he calms down in the middle of the night." I love a lot of people, and I love them deeply, but my boys have a special place in my heart. I didn't know I could love that deep. Thanks be to God for the gift of special children in our lives, and for allowing us to be a source of love and comfort for them like God is for us.

No comments: