Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A new beginning

This week marks the new beginning of another semester of Seminary. I am amazed because I have been here for over one year, although my transcript is barely different from the rest of my classmates. Oh well.

My class load is 15 credit hours, although some of those credits are "modules" which are at different points in the semester. This month, I am in the "chanting" module. We meet on Monday nights for a couple of hours. I was pumped because today at lunch, I was telling a couple of my friends how we were punching each other in the stomach last night to get the diaphragm to work, and they asked what that did. So, I sang the line, "This is the feast." A few minutes later, as we were talking about why I was taking that class (to get comfortable with chanting/hopefully singing in front of people) and I said, "It actually took a lot for me to sing, "This is the feast" in front of you, they said, "Wow, it actually sounded really good. Not like you were uncomfortable at all." So, score! The intended outcome is on the way! Yeehaw!

Today, we were in Systematic Theology (at 7:30! Yuck!) and one of the teachers was taking role. He said, "Correct me if I mispronounce your name." Pretend my last name is "Smith" for a minute. When he got to my name, he said it correctly, but I said, "It's actually Smithe" (with the long "I" sound) and pretty much the whole class started laughing because there is no possible way the "i" is long in my name, and I have a ridiculously easy last name to say. So, that made me laugh. So, my whole class and I were all laughing together. It was fun. So then, when our professor for Parish Worship was taking attendance, he got to my name and about half the class and I started laughing at the prof said, "Is this something I should know?" It was an amusing time. I don't know, maybe you had to be there...

And now I just got back from lunch, and I'm waiting for 3:00 p.m. to roll around so I can go to Pastoral Care with Adolescents. I'm excited for that class; Pastoral care does that to me! Probably because I've already had CPE and really liked it. Who knows? But I think I'm going to try to take a short nap now. Peace out.

No comments: