Saturday, February 16, 2008

Friday Five

I'm not "technically" a member of the RevGalBlogPals, but I still like the Friday Five. I rarely do them, but this one looked especially interesting, especially during difficult times, both personally and communally, where we can draw strength that God's claim on us through Jesus Christ is stronger than death.

When and where were you baptized? Do you remember it? Know any interesting tidbits?
I was baptized on October 26, 1997 at my home church, that I'd been attending since Lent 1996. I remember it because I was almost fifteen years old by then. I had wanted to be baptized for a very long time, but since we "only" went to the Christian church across the street from my house, and because my mom, despite her non-attendance, still held to her Lutheran roots, I was not baptized as a baby. It was a "private" baptism. My family and sponsors were there and that was it. It's kinda cool being one of two people here at Seminary who remember their baptism.

What's the most unexpected thing you've ever witnessed at a baptism?
I haven't really ever seen anything very unexpected at a baptism. Although, at Sunscreen's baptism, I got to hold him while Pastor seashelled water onto his head. He started to cry a little bit, but he quit before he started. It's not too unexpected; I think it's just an interesting thing to remember.

Does your congregation have any special traditions surrounding baptisms? Well, sometimes, Pastor invites the children of the congregation up, which I think is neat. But, something I think that's cool is that one of the residents of the nursing home in ChurchTown makes a "baptismal blanket" for every baby being baptized in town. Then, after the baptism, that baby receives the blanket as a kind of reminder that we are wrapped always in God's love. I also think it's a wonderful way for this woman to use a gift she has for the church.

Are you a godparent or baptismal sponsor? Have a story to tell?
My younger sister and I are both the baptism sponsors for Howard and Sunscreen. I was SO FLOORED when they asked me. I'm very excited, because I've already begun a little bit of telling them about God and what God has done in Christ Jesus. You might be amazed that SO MANY children's books have "ins" for you to use in sharing Christ's love.

Do you have a favorite baptismal song or hymn?I really like the song, "Lift High the Cross." Don't think me morbid, but it's also one of the hymns I would like sung at my funeral. The point is, "it's not about us."

Lift High the Cross:
Refrain:
Lift high the cross,
the love of Christ proclaim
till all the world adore
his sacred name.

Come, Christians, follow where our captain trod,
our king victorious, Christ the Son of God.

All newborn servants of the Crucified
bear on their brows the seal of him who died.

O Lord, once lifted on the glorious tree,
as thou hast promised, draw us all to thee.

So shall our song of triumph ever be:
praise to the Crucified for victory!

"Lift High the Cross," ELW hymn #660. Evangelical Lutheran Church in America; Augsburg Fortress Publishers, October 2006.

No comments: