Friday, January 12, 2007

Still workin' on it..

Packing, saying goodbye, and adjusting to the thought of moving is taking more time than I thought it would. But, not in all bad ways...

Last night, I went to P-town to hang out with my cousin. She works at an agency that helps children and young adults who have mental or physical handicaps. Many of the people her agency serves are in a "project" that allows them to express their artistic abilities by acting in plays. The play was last night. It was a rendition of "Guys and Dolls," a play I hadn't seen.

When we got there, we had to wait around because we were plenty early. That ended up being a VERY good thing though, because the auditorium filled up very quickly. These people did a WONDERFUL job of acting, singing, and just making it a very interesting night. The two main female actors amazed me with their abilities of singing. One even had to sing with a "jersey" type accent. They blow me out of the water when it comes to carrying a tune.

Basically, the only difference between this play and other plays that people go to, is that many of the actors had "mentors" on the stage with them. Mentors are people around their own age who learned the lines, blocking, and everything in order to help the actors. However, the mentors were dressed in costume to blend in. Unobservant people may not have even realized what the mentors were doing. It was just amazing. It just goes to show that people who are differently-abled are still capable of living fulfilling and productive lives. I'm glad Cousin invited me.

After the play, we went to eat. We went to an "Old Chicago." I'd never been to one before. It was really good. It had a nice ambiance, the food didn't take very long, and the service was good as well. I'll definitely be going back there in the future.

After all that, I came home. I've been tired lately, I think because I'm excited/nervous about the move. I keep thinking about everything that needs to be done, but I know that it will get done. I always (99.9% of the time, so not really always) get things done. But now, the weather forecast is calling for rain and ice. Ugh. It figures. But, I looked at Seminary Town forecast and they're not calling for ice, so that's a good thing. Anyway, I gotta go. My family is going out to eat tonight kind of as a "See ya, Trish" type thing. But first, the sibs and I are having a family meeting. So, I'll see ya'll later. Oh yeah, and the computer will probably be the last thing I pack, so you might be able to expect another post or two before Monday... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christ's peace and joy to you on your next adventure. Can't wait to read about your seminary experience though I am guessing you will be one busy person soon!

Anonymous said...

I hope you are settling nicely into life at Wartburg. I miss that place a lot. Some of my friends are still there. Im sure they have made you feel really welcome. Youll have to let me know how life at Wartburg is!