Friday, August 25, 2006

I'm weak.

What? I am weak. In more ways than one. This semester, I am taking Bowling as a class. It is a one credit hour course that I decided to take because I am also taking a history class and the capstone class for my major. I used to bowl in a league (although I have never been very good). Well, for class, we haven't been having "lecture" yet, so we have just been practicing bowling and showing our stuff. I am so out of practice that my legs are killing me! I like biking, hiking, skydiving, walking, and all sorts of sports, and here I am all stiff and sore from BOWLING. Haha. I'm such a dork.

You know though, as I wrote the first paragraph, I realized that I AM weak in more ways than one. I'm weak when it comes to breaking my tendency to procrastinate. This is something I have tried to overcome many times in the past, yet to no avail. I'm so apathetic about getting most things done in a timely fashion. Don't get me wrong, I always get things done ON TIME, but often as a mad dash to the finish. *Sigh* what's a girl to do?

As I think about my inability to overcome my procrastination habit, I also find myself thinking about this coming Sunday's Gospel lesson. The people are grumbling about how what Jesus is talking about is too hard to understand. His commands are "hard words" to follow. What does he mean we have to eat his flesh and drink his blood? What does he mean that he is from the Father? Isn't he Mary and Joseph's son? Isn't he just a down home boy? Is he off his rocker?" Hard words. So many times, when we hear messages that are difficult to understand, we tune out. The words are too long, the ideas are too foreign, or the concepts are just too abstract, and so we just kind of check out. Many of the people Jesus was talking to didn't really understand what the big deal was, or they didn't think they could do it, so they just decided to forget about it. But Jesus stated quite clearly that it is imperative to take his body and blood in order to have eternal life. Those who decided to stick with Jesus through the Father's beckoning them will reap the rewards that Jesus promises. Those who follow the "hard words" will not lose their reward. May we find the strength to follow the tasks we find to be difficult as we live in service to our Lord; even if it involves overcoming procrastination.

No comments: