Monday, November 26, 2007

Back from...Vacation?

Well, I got back from "home" last night around 6:30 or so. I carted all my stuff up to my room last night, checked my email and facebook, and laid down to have some "quiet time." However, I fell promptly asleep! That was around 8:00 p.m. I woke up at 8:30 because I was snoring. That was weird, because I'm not a snorer, but I was last night. So, I got up, put my pjs on, did a quick run thru of bedtime procedure, and laid back down. I slept til 8:00 this morning, and even then, I took about a half hour nap after chapel (I didn't have discussion group at that time, so I was free). I was so tired. While I was "home," I didn't sleep that well, and last week was fairly overwhelming anyway. I had about 4 Seminary dreams, with the most recent one last night. It involved a test done on a steeple on sight at the seminary (We don't have a steeple) and a classmate with a SEVERELY bloody nose. It was gross, but kinda funny at the same time.

Last Wednesday, I was at my home church for Thanksgiving Eve worship. After it was over, I was chatting with Pastor and his wife for a little while, ironing out details for Sunday because they were going to be gone and I was set to lead worship. So, after we were done chatting, I went out, got in Neno, and turned the key, but it wouldn't start. I thought, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?" Last time my car broke down, it was at the coke shop in the same town. I had to call Pastor that day to see if he could come help me. Well, Wednesday was no different. He tried jump starting my car, but that wasn't the problem. He drove me about 12 miles to a place where Sis could pick me up. I felt bad because it wasn't a nice night outside and everytime my car breaks, he ends up having to help me. Oy veh.

Anyway, Sis came and got me, and I felt bad for dragging her out of the house on a cold, rainy evening. So, after we got home, we talked a while and did some minor prep for Thanksgiving. But, she was tired and went to bed. I, on the other hand, wanting to make up for dragging Sis away, stayed up and cleaned the house like a mad woman.

The next day was Thanksgiving, so I couldn't call my mechanic (a real nice guy I actually TRUST with my car. He is very reasonable and an all around great dude). So, I enjoyed Thanksgiving with Sis, BiL, and BiL's family. None of my family members were there (My other sibs had other things to do, and the nursing home people suggest not taking loved ones home because there are often issues in getting them back to the home). I love BiL's family; I just missed celebrating with my own. Oh well. It was better than the years I got left at home all alone on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

So, the next day was Friday. I called the mechanic early and got his wife. He called later and said he'd go have a gander. BiL let me borrow his van to take my car keys to the mechanic, and so I also went and visited Grandma! She lives at a nursing home in ChurchTown. Granny is 94 years old, is very forgetful, but she is still Grandma. She throws out one-liners all the time and she's just wonderful. I love her so much. She was happy to see me and I was so glad I got to see her. After I had visited for a while, I left. The mechanic called and said we needed to get my car from ChurchTown to MechanicTown (about 15 miles away). So, I had to have it towed. Thankfully, there is a towing place in ChurchTown that is incredibly reasonable. Plus, I think I have some sort of towing insurance, so I'll be turning that in. Mechanic said the problem was the fuel pump. When I drove a Jeep, I had to have that part replaced once and it cost me 19 dollars. This time, including the part, labor, and towing, it cost me about 600 dollars. Yikes. Oh well.

When Sunday rolled around, I had my car back, so thankfully I had no troubles getting to Church and Pastor's "other" church so I could lead worship/preach. For some reason, I was having difficulties with the text for Sunday, and was not at all happy with what I sent Pastor. He replied with some suggestions and comments earlier in the week. It was funny because we chatted a little bit about it on Wednesday and he said he was hoping he didn't sound too critical. I told him that he wasn't, and that I knew what I sent him was less than stellar, so that made him feel better. He seemed kind of surprised that I could tell it was not a good message, but he also seemed grateful because he was afraid that I thought this was "the best one yet!" I said that definitely was NOT the case, and so I reworked it that same day, and he said the revision was much more my style. The last time I preached on Christ the King Sunday was much easier to do though. That was the message I posted here on my blog. "Humpty Dumpty..." Remember?

Anyway... Sunday went pretty well, except when I got into the car after the first service so I could go to the other church, I saw that I had a voicemail. It was Oldest Brother telling me that Grandma was in the hospital and she might die. I called him back and asked what hospital she was in, and made plans to go there when I was done with leading worship. When I got there, she was looking good. I talked with her aide and she said Grandma was doing quite well and was throwing out little one liner jokes and being Grandma. That's the neat thing; even though Grandma is incredibily forgetful and doesn't always know who we are, she is still herself. And really, I think she's better mentally than Ma. It's weird. I don't think Grandma is going to die anytime soon. Although I'm very grateful that she was at the hospital because she had a cardiac episode where her BP was something like 200/100. If she hadn't been there, it could've been lights out. I'm trying to be realistic, considering Granny is 94 years old, but she looks really good, and so I'm going to be optimistic.

Anyway, that was my week/weekend in a nutshell. I had a good time with the nephews and just being at home, but I'm glad to be back at the Castle. I wish I would have had time to see Mom, but the place she is at is far away and with all that happened, I just couldn't make it over there. YS went on Thanksgiving, so that was good. I will get to see her hopefully sooner than later, but life happens. Anyway, I'm going to do some work and go to bed. I'm still so tired. Have a good day.

No comments: