Sunday, July 23, 2006

What's Up?

Hey! I just got back from my 5 year high school class reunion, and wow was it cool. It was held at the restaurant that one of my classmates owns. Social hour began at 5 and lasted until 7 or so. I saw some of my friends and met another classmate's wife. She was really fun. People talked to me about what's going on with me, and I got to be my goofy self. Since social hour was held in the restaurant bar section instead of the regular bar section, I got to see everyone who came in to the restaurant. My friends and classmates were amazed that I knew and talked to just about everyone who walked through the doors. I knew everyone because my classmate's restaurant is right next door to Restaurant where I work, and we don't have a monopoly on the customers. So, I know them because they also come to Restaurant. A good friend's fiance said, "Hey, you already got one part of being a minister down; the whole meet and greet everyone routine!" Haha. So, around 7, we sat at our tables and were served family style dinner with chicken, spaghetti, tortellini, fettuccine alfredo, a baked potato, and salad bar. Included in the price of the evening was also unlimited pop or beer. I drank water most of the night. But, after the meal and after we all schmoozed together for a while, we moved to the bar again while they set up karaoke. My classmate's wife, who we will call "Libby" said, "Hey, we're going to sing a song together, aren't we?" And I said, "I'm TONE DEAF!" and she said, "Nice to meet you Tone Deaf, what do you want to sing?" So, we chose a song and when it was our turn we went up there and sang it. It was so much fun. I have never sung karaoke before because I'm not at all confident in my singing abilities. But, most of the people there were drunk anyway... And, I had a couple of beers and a few shots in me before we went up. I had a blast. We sang the song "What's Up?" by 4 Non-Blondes. Hahah. It was great. After we sang, a classmate came up to me and said, "Hey, you guys did a really good job!" And I said, "Yeah right." And she said, "No, really, everyone was saying what a good job you guys did while you were up there." To which I replied, "Then these people must be drunker than I thought!" Hehe. But, it's good to know that people weren't running for the doors with their hands over their ears screaming for silence! And for only having just met "Libby", I felt like we've been friends for years! So, after we sang, I switched back to water, sobered up, listened to more singers, talked to more of my classmates who came late, and then went home. And now, I sit here writing about my evening in my blog. The only thing I wish was different was that more of my classmates would have shown up. Only about 20 classmates showed up, which is kinda disappointing, but what can ya do? And then several of them left pretty early. Ah well... I had fun anyway. So, I wholeheartedly recommend going to class reunions because it's completely different from your actual high school experience because people grow and change from the kids they were in school. I know I have.

1 comment:

Darius said...

That's true, those 5 years can make a big difference. Also, even one year, now that I think about it. In my class, seemed as though a lot of people grew up senior year.