Thursday, November 10, 2005

Happy Birthday, Martin!

Today, November 10 is a special day, I suppose, in the life of Lutheranism. Today is Martin Luther, the father of the Reformation's birthday! If Luther was still alive, he'd be 522. He was born in 1483. I thought it was noteworthy considering without him, we would not have Lutheranism as we know it. I, for one, am very grateful for the life and ministry of Luther, because without him, we would not be where we are today. But I just now wondered, his birthday was only several days after he posted his theses on the door at Wittenberg, so how must he have spent that particular birthday? Perhaps it was spent running from the Catholic authorities? What a way to celebrate your 34th birthday! Well, happy birthday, Martin Luther! Thank you for your trailblazing ways! The Lutheran Church has come a long way, but we couldn't have started without ya! So, let's just wish Dr. Luther a great big posthumous 522nd birthday. What a day. Blessings.

Oh yeah, it's my birthday, too! Although, Martin was born 499 years before me.

No comments: