Saturday, April 12, 2008

What's happening.

So, I came "home" this weekend because I am giving a presentation of my trip to I/P tomorrow at church. We are having worship, set-up time for the power point, the presentation, and a light lunch afterwards. Pastor is not going to be able to make it to the presentation because of the "other" church, but I told him I would show him sometime, or at least leave the cd and my notes so he could see. I'm excited to do the presentation and share with my peeps what I did in January, but I wasn't in the mood to come home this weekend. Ah well. I'm here, so there is no use whining about it.

Hmm. This past Friday was April 11; the day that my mom's friend, Dick, died last year. I don't know why I remember that sort of thing; I just do. I didn't get all weepy or anything, but I did remember with fondness the times I got to spend with him. I also hope that his daughters are dealing with the "anniversary" okay. They say that the first year is always the toughest, and I agree. It's okay to grieve and to not be "fine" all the time, even as others think you should buck up and get over it already. That's not the way human emotions work. I think it's a sliding scale sort of thing. Sometimes memories or situations or something comes up and brings that hurt up almost like new. I know I always get a little crabby around the "anniversary" of my dad's death, and so I empathize with Dick's daughters. I maintain that grief is a strange thing like that...Sometimes even "happy" things can make a person feel the grief anew. I have thought a lot about what could happen in my future, and I did even more so in my past, because I didn't want this or that situation to catch me offguard with grief. That being said, I invite you to pray for those who maybe feel like our culture is telling them to "get over it" already, or telling them that they don't have a right to grive; that they might be surrounded by unexpected grace and love.

Anyway, in other news, one of my cousins and her parents said they are coming to this presentation tomorrow, so I'm happy to see them. I love them and don't get to see them that often. I hope I am not kept too long though, because I also want to go see Grandma, and maybe Mom if time allows. My plan last time to get her to sing didn't work because we were in the hallway and not in her room, so I have a new plan this time to get her to sing. Not in a manipulative way, really, but in a, "I want you to 'feel normal' for a time, and your singing voice is still beautiful and might aid in that" way. I don't know.

But, I need to go because I hope to get some sleep tonight. I'm going extra early to the church in the morning so I can set up a table of stuff from J-term, too. Have a good Sunday.

No comments: