Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Chapel Observation

Well, here at Seminary, we have chapel every weekday. To keep things lively, students are assigned to help out every week, under a faculty member. Also, each day generally has a typical order of service matched with it, and the people who plan worship pretty much do "Filler work," meaning they choose hymns and whether or not we chant or speak the psalm and what not.

On Tuesdays, we do the "Soli Deo Gloria" order of service, which is really quite lovely. I think that it was written by Weston Noble, the man who used to conduct the choir at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa. I'm not sure though, so don't quote me.

I've noticed something about this order of service that I think is amusing, though. The assembly sings a song that is built into the service, and in this song, there are 5 verses. Everyone sings the first two, women sing the third, men sing the fourth, and everyone comes back in to sing the fifth. This amuses me because when it is the women folk's turn to sing, it reminds me of that scene in "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," when the girl's school is introduced and they come in all fluttery like and say, "AHH" in their incredibly high-pitched voices. Then, the guys do their verse, and it's almost like when the boy's school comes in, pounding their sticks on the ground and marching.

I don't know; maybe you have to be there...

I'm not sure if I like the actual word break up of the song though, but that'll be a post for another day. I'm not feeling the greatest again, and even missed class today. I think I'm going to have a can of peaches and go lie down for a while. Peace out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sending feel good vibes your way trish....maybe if you guys there didn't party so much :P love you and miss you and i hope you feel better soon! *hugs* but from afar so i don't get sick too :)