Wednesday, February 01, 2006

One step closer

Here I sit, in the computer lab at School, after my meeting with the pastor from my candidacy committee. It was an interesting day, and interesting conversation, and an interesting meeting altogether. Let me regale you with the story:

BEFORE THE MEETING: I woke up at 8:30 this morning so I would have enough time to get ready and show up slightly early to the restaurant where we determined we would meet. I made a slight update to the blog and headed out wearing one of my few "nice" outfits. So, I got to the town at the time I wanted, and pulled into the parking lot. I waited for her in the waiting area of the restaurant until 15 minutes past the time we were set to meet. I thought I had the restaurant wrong or the time wrong, or even the day wrong! I was slightly worried. However, I went out to the car and got on my cell phone to call information so I could call the other restaurant in town to see if she was waiting for me there. The line was busy. Just as I hung up the phone, I saw a car coming around the corner and I knew it was hers. So, I got out of the car and we went into the restaurant.

DURING: We walked into the restaurant and introduced ourselves to each other. She knew who I was and I knew who she was already, but formal introductions are always nice. So, we ordered some breakfast and the waitress brought our drinks (I had a shot of whiskey to calm my nerves and she had a cup of coffee.) HA! Just kidding. I had water and she had coffee. So, after that was taken care of, we started talking with her telling me about herself and where she is and what she senses God is doing in her life. Then she started asking me questions and talking with me. After our food came, we continued our conversation. After we had finished breakfast, she asked me about my jobs, volunteering I do, my family life, education, sense of call, what I do for fun, and a few various other things and started writing them down. It was nice because she wasn't just grilling me like I stole something. This was more like a conversation where she would ask me some stuff and I'd reply and then she would tell me something that might relate to this question about her own life. She made me feel at ease. Pastor told me I would like her, and I really did. After all this, we said our goodbyes and left.

AFTER: This was an interesting day. I was a little nervous about meeting with someone who potentially could tell the Candidacy Committee that I'm a whack job and they shouldn't let me within 100 yards of the seminary. But she seemed to be realistic and at ease in her speech and composure. I only hope that I didn't seem like an uptight weirdo sitting there. Overall, I feel like it went really well, although there was one part of the interview that I look back on and feel kind of weird about. But, she said that it is nothing to really worry about because if this particular thing comes about it will be good for me. It is just odd to wrap my mind around at this time though. Anyway, that is my report of what happened today. I hope it satisfies your curiosity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, it did not satisfy my curiosity!

I want to know MORE!

Really, I do. Like where'd you eat (because I cannot remember where you told me) and I'm curious about the thing you're worried about...