Thursday, February 02, 2006

Another story about Restaurant..

Wow. really, just wow. Remember a few days ago when I posted about my hard-core Catholic friend who disagrees with my vocational hopes? I said that I was sort of disappointed because he and I are not on the same wavelength when it comes to this. Well, it's amazing because this whole week at Restaurant, people have been so supportive of me. See, I find it interesting because I usually don't just come right on out and say, "I hope to someday enter seminary and become a minister." Usually when people ask me what grade I'm in and I say, "I'm a senior in college," they ask me what I'm studying. I say Sociology. Then if they drop that, I don't pursue it. However, I don't lie if they ask, "What do you hope to do with that degree?" I usually reply with something like, "I hope to someday have a vocation within the Church." Well, I'd say a good 60% of the time people don't get that far in the conversation. However, this week, so many of my customers have gone the extra question and when I tell them, they have ALL been really supportive and happy for me. An example: Wednesday night, an older gentleman and his wife were in. They were the last people of the night and so they were alone. They were nice and talkative and they asked me how old I was. I told them I am 23 and they were amazed (I look really young; usually I'm guessed to be about 16). So, they continued on and we wound up at the "I hope to have a vocation with the Church" comment. They said, "You want to be a minister?" And I said, "I hope I can someday do that." So, then the man said, "What denomination are you?" and I replied, "ELCA." Then, the man said, "BLESS YOU, my child!" and he told me that he and his wife are also ELCA Lutherans. So, it was just wonderfully affirming to me to have that. And that was not the only positive comment I received this week. It is just amazing how God provides that emotional support for us when we're feeling discouraged. I've really been blessed, and I am so glad that I am not always blind to the gifts I've been given (although I don't see all of them all the time). This week has just been great. I had a good interview (I think!), customers at Restaurant have been fantastic, co-workers have been really great, Pastor has been supportive (of course!), school has been entertaining, friends seem genuinely interested, and I got to schmooze with people tonight and make several tables laugh a lot. What more could I ask for? I feel like Jack on the movie "Titanic" when he says something along the lines of: Well, right now my address is the HMS Titanic. I have a couple blank sheets of paper and some drawing pencils, 10 bucks in my pocket, and yet i'm having dinner with you fine folks on the best ship in the world. I'm living my life and making it count. That's not a direct quote, but it is the essence of what he said. I just feel so fortunate. I may not be wealthy or esteemed, but I have what I need and more because I have love. It's a wonderful feeling.

No comments: