Monday, March 26, 2007

Hey.

I'm alive. I haven't been near an Internet connection in about 4 days or so, so please forgive my lack of posting. I was on call Thursday and "worked" at the hospital for CPE on Friday. Then I went home for the weekend to spend some time with my family and visit Ma at her new digs in the nursing home. She seems to be getting better. I'm just hoping and praying that she gets better enough to come home. Before she had surgery, she was forgetful, but not to the point where she'd need round the clock care. She's been seeing a neurologist for a year or two now, but I never said the A-word before last week because that's just something I felt the need to not let out there. But, with all that was/is going on, I felt the need to just release that. So, I didn't just pull Alzheimer's out of my hat; it's been going on for a while. That's not quite the "official" diagnosis yet, but we suspect it will be when she goes back to the neurologist's office to get the results of her neuropsych testing.

I really appreciate all your kind words, thoughts, and prayers on the behalf of me and my family. As you can imagine, this is a difficult time. Especially now that life has been significantly altered. It's tough facing the slow, steady, and inevitable demise of a parent. It's about the polar opposite of what happened with Dad. Dad was seemingly fine one moment and dead the next. With Ma, it has been one medical problem after another, with each taking its toll. But, I'm not hopeless because I have the anchor of my faith, and that is Christ my Lord. So, thanks be to God for being the Steadfast Presence in my life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

First time at your site. Sorry to hear about your mom. I know a little about this disease, as my dad had Alzheimers, and was in a nursing home as well. Let me know if I can help!